Friday 12 October 2012

Post Degree Work

These are the first 2 pieces of work I've made since graduating. 
Even though they're not hugely different in style or meaning I've found these 2 pieces a lot more relaxing and enjoyable to make. 

I'm putting this down to me not having to explain myself or explain the choice of words, colours, font I've used. Also being able to take my time creating them and not having to work to a deadline. 

Even though I loved art college, the constant justification of every decision I made was getting a little too much.

Sometimes I have no obvious reasons for liking something or choosing to use it in my work... I see it or think it and use it because I love it! 




 The first piece I made "Some Secrets Should Never Be Told" is in the Ransom letter style which I've been using for a while. I found the base pattern for the font in "Twisted Stitches" By Phil Davison, then tweaked each letter and changed the colours around.  The meaning behind this links in with my final degree show where I'd hand stitched secrets taken from my personal diaries. Even though I have a habit of being too "open" I still do have secrets I want to keep hidden... much to the dislike of the tutors marking my work! I think it also resonates with many people, admit it... we all have skeletons! Secrets that could change lives if they ever got out!






If you haven't already, buy it! It's a brilliant book full of dark, fun and creepy patterns... It's the best £13 I've spent.


My second piece is a new font I've been working on, it's a direct copy from a font chart I found in a mumsy cross stitch magazine. I really wanted to just sit and sew this time around, not have to concentrate on altering and designing new patterns, but just enjoy the process of stitching. Which I did!
It hasn't got the same impact as my previous pieces so perhaps I wont use it again, but never the less I had fun doing it :)





The phrase is how I feel more often than I'd like to admit! 
Even when someone makes me mad or upsets me I stay calm on the outside but can feel my emotions bubbling up on the inside. Maybe it's politeness or because I'm scared of confrontation, I don't know? But stitching this piece definitely helped get out some frustrations! 

Even though my degree is over I can imagine I'll still carry on producing work like this, its proving to be a very therapeutic way of dealing with issues I'd normally bury.


On both of these pieces I've used a 14 count Aida and regular embroidery thread... 
It is normal practice to iron the fabric when you've finished, but I REALLY hate ironing! 

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment